Living Life...

Living Life...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Proposal Story..!

The story you have all been waiting for… some more patiently than others J

In order to share the details of how Matthew proposed to me I have to give you some background information. Matthew’s 31st birthday was on January 31st and he made me promise that I would not do anything to celebrate his birthday. He did not even want a cake let alone a party.

Towards the beginning of January my sister called me one day to tell me that I should plan a get together for Matthew around his birthday time as an excuse for the family to meet his mother. I was reluctant to ask Matthew since he was so adamant about not wanting to do anything. He agreed to just having the family come over for dinner as long as I would not make a cake. Of course I convinced him by promising to make him lasagna for dinner.

(Little did I know that Matthew in reality had talked to my sister and told her to plant the idea in my head. He wanted to propose and wanted to make it memorable for me… including lots of pictures..!)

So, here I am planning Matthew a party (that wasn’t for his birthday of course) and he started inviting some of his friends… he loved spending time with people that are important to him so he wanted those closest to him to be at the party. Of course at this point I decided that the party was indeed going to be a birthday party. I then went back and told my sister to bring desert… knowing that she loved to make cakes… after all.. I only promised not to make him a cake myself… not that my sister wouldn’t make him a cake.





The day of the party arrived, January 29th, and I excited drove home from class in Portland. I was smart enough to make the lasagna ahead of time and was able to shower and relax before people started arriving. Before my sister showed up, Matthew came up to me and said that he got away with not having a cake for his birthday… little did he know Kim was bringing the cake..!

She arrived and first thing she did was show me his birthday cake which I told her to hide because he didn’t know about it. Unfortunately, he noticed the cake and came up to harass me about it afterward she went to hide it.



It was a lot of fun just sitting around and visiting people throughout dinner and watching our friends and family getting to know one another. Then came the time for the cake… my sister put the cake on the table and we all surrounded it like you normally would for a birthday party. I was standing next to Matthew and Shane and lifted the box from his birthday cake and was surprised to see a different cake under the box.


Matthew had my sister make a cake that said, “Will you Marry Me” on it… with camera’s flashing I turned and gave Matthew a hug. I saw Shane had a box in his hand but I was too focused on Matthew to stop and listen to what he had to say. Matthew of course got down on one knee and for the first time told me that he loved me (Side note: He told me that he wouldn’t tell me he loved me until the day he proposed) and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me… and asked if I would marry him..! Of course I said YES… and the rest is history… or better yet… still in the future.




Shane wanted to ask me to be his step-mother but had to wait patiently to do so as I was too focused on his father to pay much attention..! But aftewards he did ask me and of course I was honored to be asked..!

I am engaged to be married... who would have expected that to happen..?
It's a crazy good road that God has me on..!

Of course everyone wants to know if I expected it or not... and although I was surprised that night about all the details and planning that went into this special event... I was not surprised that he proposed... I knew that the only thing he would want for his birthday was me..! This is a birthday he will never forget... good thing it's his "Golden Birthday" and should be celebrated in a special way. I love you Matthew.. and I'm excited for the adventure God is going to bring us on in the years to come..!

6 comments:

Katy J. said...

Kristin this is such a sweet story! I loved reading about this special day. I am so excited for your wedding!!! Love you!

. La Kris said...

Thanks Katy... I'm pretty excited myself..! I'm super swamped with homework or else I would have written it out sooner..!

Betty Ahumada said...

Thanks for telling us all the details of the proposal-birthday party! I´m so happy for you!!!That part of Shane asking you to be his step mother is really sweet!!!God bless you!!!

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing! This is such a great story.

Kristin said...

So sweet! I'm excited for you guys!

aaron♥michelle said...

Soooo happy for you guys!! :) Thanks for sharing the story. So, when's the big day?